I wanted to see how much the wire would do, so I made up all the hoops and half-hoops. It does a bit ... but only a bit. I hoped that the tapes would do the rest, but a) they don't and b) I don't have very much tape, so I've had to order more. Online people said they were able to straighten this tubing with a hair dryer, so I started trying that, but it didn't seem productive. So now they're sitting in a tub of hot water, but the bigger hoops don't want to fit and overall it would be A MILLION TIMES SMARTER to have soaked them in the water before I started, doy.
Seriously, Kay Gnagey's kit costs only a bit more than all this, and is almost certainly simpler ... otoh, you need a belt hole punch and that's another ~$35 if you don't have one, so I guess this is more cost effective. But still, it's a lot of trouble and maybe the money would have been worth it if I'd gone that route before I started this idiocy. I'll be so pissed if I do get it to work eventually and it turns out to be really heavy or something.
I may go and do some translation as I very rarely feel as stupid doing that as I have while working on this today.
ETA: Good news, the hot water did smooth out the hoops. Bad news, when I hold them all together they feel quite heavy. Mediocre news, if I take half of them out (and there are 13, so I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem) it's only half as heavy. Worse news, I so don't feel like any of this.
Original post: http://chocolatepot.dreamwidth.org/7402